Monday, August 3, 2009

Temporary Randomness

For any of you who read though the link roll on the left side bar, you'll notice that I often drift into pointing out art, and art related posts. Normally, I feel that these are more personally interesting then reliant to the blog, but I did what to highlight Ta-Nehisi great series of pieces about art. Today's is another barn burner.
I'm always skeptical of nostalgia--even if I fall victim to it myself, at times. I think we spend too much time hand-wringing about the present, as opposed to adjusting to it. I come to what is classic from all the art of the now--Chris Claremont, Raekwon, Randall Cunningham and Double Dragon. They've helped shape my sense of what is beautiful--but they don't limit it.
I'm genuinely not sure how to feel about this. I've actually taken quiet a bit of both practical art and art history back in high school and college. A part of me has always found that nostalgic part of art very appealing, but I also can recognize that it was what made me such a lousy painter. Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment